Friday, January 6, 2012

Vegan Carrot Cake Pancakes

Anyone who follows me on Facebook knows that I have developed quite the penchant for whipping up vegan pancakes after discovering these recipes and realising that I never have to buy eggs again! I am vegetarian but with vegan leanings, and I haven't liked eggs since I was six years old so unless they were hidden in cakes, or were the chocolate variety available around certain holidays, I don't touch them. So this was a total win-win and in the main I have been making them with berries or apple and cinnamon.

One fateful morning though, I ran out of fruit and not willing to give up my favourite breakfast for a weekend morning, I decided to see what else might work. I found a couple of carrots, and thought "hey, there's an idea"... It was destined to be a bad idea knowing CL + Kitchens = disaster, but it turned out to be so effing brilliant that I thought I would share my recipe just in case anyone else wants to have a go.

Please note, this is a single-serve recipe. It could possibly stretch to two people if you like people. I don't like people so therefore it's strictly single-serve. Plus, it's totally healthy because it has carrots and stuff in it. Here goes:

1/3 Cup Wholemeal Self-raising flour (perhaps try gluten-free flour if you are that way inclined)
2 TBS Oats
1 1/2 tsp Stevia (or sugar if you'd prefer)
2/3 tsp Baking Power
Pinch salt
1 carrot (average-sized), grated
1/2 tsp vanilla essence (double if using imitation vanilla)
1/3 cup of non-dairy milk (use a dash extra if needs be)
1 TBS oil (I usually use peanut oil)
2 TBS Tofutti spread
Cinnamon to taste (I chuck in heaps)

Combine dry ingredients, add wet ingredients. Mix together. Pour into frypan on low-med heat. Turn when bubbles appear on the top of the pancake. Put on plate. Gorge thyself!

I serve with just simple Nuttelex Margarine. Or perhaps you might prefer a dollop of Soy Ice Cream? It would work, I reckon.

Anyway, this will be the first, and last, time I EVER post a recipe on this blog. I have a reputation as a non-domesticated wanderer to maintain, after all!

3 comments:

Emma-Lou said...

Now how to make them less vegan....

Utopiana said...

Why? It's got no egg and no dairy which both don't do too well with you anyway, and change the flour and it becomes Gluten-free as well. WIN!

alma-rori said...

Can't wait to try these out! I make vegan pancakes nearly every Sunday and am ready to experiment with soem flavours. Thanks for the link!